Make a Move

2:41 PM

Hey guys! I have some exciting news - I recently moved to Charleston! After internally debating the move (I have wanted to live somewhere warmer for a while) I took the leap last weekend and packed up my car, put everything that didn't fit in a storage unit, and embarked on this adventure. I left Massachusetts with about $50 in pocket, no job, and not knowing anyone in my new home-town (besides my cats obvi). Currently, I'm living in summer sublease and love the other two girls in the house and (brace yourself this is super exciting!) I already landed a great job! Its safe to say that so far things are going pretty well. The city is beautiful, the people are nice, and the weather is amazing - my only issues are that I do not have enough summer clothes and my hair is still adjusting to the humidity (aka frizz-central), oh and shorts are like a year-round thing here so it looks like I'll have to start shaving more frequently.

If you are planning a move here are some suggestions I have.

1. Uhaul U-Boxes. Since I am living in a fully furnished sublease for the summer I have a lot of stuff I don't need right away, but even if you do need your things pronto I would look into this option for moving your items. If you need to store the U-Box it costs about $100 a month (kinda pricey), but moving my U-Box from MA to SC only will cost about $1300, which compared to PODs and other similar products is a savings of about $2000. Also, with the U-Box you don't have to drive a big trailer or box truck - they transport it for you and they offer pretty cheap moving help. For me the affordability and convenience was exactly what I needed.

2. Vacuum Seal Bags. A few different companies make these, probably most notably Ziploc Space Bags, you can find them at any Wal-mart, Target, K-mart, etc. I had initially packed my clothes in trash bags and could not fit myself, my cats, my shoes, and my six trash bags of clothes in my little Chevy Cruze (yes, I did downsize my wardrobe prior to packing by donating a few trash bags of clothes and putting anything for cold weather in the Uhaul - I just kinda have a problem, so lets not judge). I ended up buying 4 Jumbo vac-seal bags and was able to fit all six trash bags, as well as a comforter, two pillows, and my towels into these bags and then fit the bags into my car (they each weighed like a million pounds, but I fit them nonetheless). So if you want to keep your clothes clean and get the most of your storage space these bags are exactly what you need.

3. Find a short-term living or a sublease. This way you are not tied down to a part of town you may end up not liking. I chose to sublease for a few reasons: Firstly, I would live with a few other people and in a place where you know no-one this is comforting. Secondly, I would be able to choose a long-term apartment based on what parts of town I liked and where I ended up getting a job. A few of the apartments I blindly considered before seeing the city I now know I do not want to live in - getting a feel for your surroundings first is definitely the way to go.

4. If you're thinking about it - just do it. When people ask why I would want to move somewhere I don't know anyone and don't have a job I simply replied that it was something I wanted to do and that I didn't want to look back and regret not taking the opportunity. A lot of people have said I was brave and that they are envious that they are not doing the same - if you want to move then just do it. You are never too old or too stuck to start over, make new friends, and explore new places.

I am ashamed to admit I've spent the last couple of weeks looking pretty haggard - but I haven't posted in ages so here are a few of the outfits I had worn before my lapse of fashionability.




Cardigan: Old (similar), Peplum Tank: Old Navy, Lipstick: Covergirl "Spellbound" , Jeggings: American Eagle, Flats: Forever 21



Sweater: Lauren Conrad at Kohls - old (similar), Jeggings: American Eagle, Fringed Booties: TJ Maxx in-store (similar)

I had also been trying to master the beach waves. Here are a few pictures of the outcome (and yes you may notice that I am still very in love with the Covergirl Lipstick in "Spellbound"). To get these waves I use Loreal heat protectant, then curl starting half way down my hair using a 1" curling wand, but I don't curl all of my hair (just chunks). Next, I brush out the curls and spritz with Not Your Mother's sea-salt spray to get the messy texture. I am not great with hair - so if I can do this then you can too (in fact you will prob have better results bc like I said I'm not great with hair).




Because I am a crazy cat lady - here are a couple of adorable cat pictures.


Tuuk loves to "work out" with me (aka he attacks my pony tail and jumps on my stomach when I'm attempting to work on my abs, but hes so freaking cute I can never be mad). This is him doing kitty-lates on my yoga mat, which is obvi pilates for cat.



 Katniss holding my hand. I love this little lady.

I actually got dressed today and put on make up, which is am improvement from the homely look I've been sporting the past two weeks - so hopefully I will have some cute outfits for my next post. I also want to offer up some interview outfit inspo because I always find myself stressed when I look to my closet and realize I have to dress like a professional adult.

Also, if you have any advice for making friends in a new place - or if you know of any places in Charleston I need to check out please let me know in the comments!

Love you guys almost as much as cats & coffee,

Kristen


P.S. While I'm writing and editing this post I am totally jamming out to The Weeks, and if you haven't heard the song Buttons you need to click this link and do that ASAP.




You Might Also Like

0 comments