Insta-Adult: Interview Prep Sesh

7:13 PM

Hi! So last week I wrote about the struggle of dressing for an interview. I had to dress business casual for over two and half years and I still get anxiety when I look into my closet trying to figure out what to wear! Typically, I go for a down-to-earth, professional business casual, simple look. You don't want to wear anything that makes you look high-maintenance, but you also don't want to look too casual(shy away from jeans). I suggest a pair of classic black trousers, a flowy shirt, and a cardigan or blazer (if you choose a colored shirt, go neutral with your cardigan/blazer - remember you want them to focus on you and not your outfit). You can get the outfit below for under $120!





If you don't get the right vibe from the people in the workspace then you don't have to take the job, but you should do your best during the interview regardless (think of it as practice!).  Take the reins and show them a glimpse into who you are (and why that makes you great for this job blah blah blah), but hold back on letting the at-home-with-my-bff-eating-peanut-butter-in-our-jammies-and-gossiping self take the wheel because trust me, if you get the job they'll get to know this you later(being in small work area 8 hours a day really helps to break down personal barriers).

You may be thinking "If I get the job, wtf am I going to wear all week?" This is actually super simple - you have a ton of shirts you can make work (preferably ones without too much cleavage, or if there is cleavage just wear a scarf) with a cardigan or blazer and Tah-dah you're an insta-adult. If the shirt is kinda plain add a necklace. Rock flats and (non-hooker) heels. It may seem scary, but once you get the job you'll start to see that everyone has their dress-code cheats (i.e. black or white jeans with a longer flowy top so you can't see the back pockets). Plus maxi skirts and dresses are totally work appropriate (#pajamasfortheworkplace). On occasion you may be able to slip in the shorter dress/longer shirt and leggings look too (wait a month or so for this though).

Love the advice?! Awesome - I'm writing it mostly because the humidity in Charleston has reeked havoc on my skin and hair (I'm beginning to notice improvements though) and I still haven't found anywhere with good lighting to take pictures. Though I may be pizza-faced and frizzy, I do love the job I just started so life is pretty good.

Love you guys almost as much as cats & coffee,


Kristen

You Might Also Like

0 comments